Road conditions deteriorate in the Winter months so we have to be a bit more selective about the roads/routes we use, the lanes can become very muddy and slippy with a higher risk of ice due to surface not being treated. Although some of the roads will be busier they are safer to ride on.
A few tips for Winter Rides
- Mudguards Please fit some for Club rides there’s nothing worse for the rider behind you than a cold shower of wet,slimy road grime 😡 also keeps your bum dry and protects your bike.
- Winter tyres Various options something a bit heavier with good puncture protection usually Kevlar is mentioned in the spec, run the pressure a bit less than you would in the summer, around 90 psi to give you a bit more grip in the wet.
- Glasses Make sure you have some, you really don’t want a lump of grit in your eye
- Lights Front and back flashing lights for those dull and misty mornings, its essential to make yourself seen, be safe out there people 😉
- Clothing More layers keep you warm,carry a wind/rain jacket with you, good gloves wind and waterproof the same for overshoes, bib tights or shorts with leg warmers, lookout for Roubaix in the spec as this usually indicates extra thermal protection. Its the wind chill that gets you so make sure your kit offers wind protection.